Sunday, March 16, 2014

제주 Part 2- Mountain and Sea

Day 3 of the island had only one item on the schedule. Hike 한라산.
Early Start to the day to make sure we have enough time for the ascent

Quickly realized that 85% of the hike would be on top of the snow. Lines would form at the steep inclines and we would collectively catch our breaths at flatter segments of the trail. The snow covered landscape surprised me in my tennis shoes, jeans, and lack of gloves. 

Signs posting that no ramen due to snow sent mild chaos before hikers began their ascent. Imagine the normal reaction of a Korean receiving ramen. All the slurping, salivating, huddling around to receive hot water, breaking of the wooden chopsticks. Multiply that by ten and you get the scene at the checkpoint shelter. The last 3 kilometers had been constant escalation of wind, snow, and cold. The majority of my vision was white as everything was covered in snow and frost. To finally shuffle into that crammed shelter, see only glimpses of snow on people's eyebrows, and receive a bowl of warm Styrofoam infused packaged goodness, I shared in the joys of all the hikers who now knew they would not go home without ramen in their stomach. 

I continued the last portion of the hike by myself. 나은 has Raynaud phenomenon where her extremities do not receive blood flow and thus turn white due to the cold. 이모 would keep her company at the shelter, but with the brutality of the hike, it was a good decision for them to forgo the peak. 

Visibility low. Gusts of winds blew people down off their feet. Without gloves, my hands were stinging from the cold, but I could not put my hand in my pocket as I need to wield my tree branch for balance on the iced-over trail. 

This lone up the peak comforts me in that I enjoy the mental and physical space of being in the unknown. Going to a new place, facing new challenges, not having anyone I know near me. This escapism allows for breaks from the day to day thoughts, for contemplations lasting longer than that article on the internet, for  learning about self. 

Of course, at the end of it all, it's nice to have people at the bottom of the hill.


There's not too many places in the world where a hike to a snow covered mountain can immediately be followed by sunset watching next to the shoreline. 

All beaten by the hike, we had a mostly silent and heart dinner. 똥돼지 to defrost our bodies. 

We had our little 막걸리 party before we crashed into bed. 



Morning visit to the seaside. 

Breakfast of Jeju specialties. 

We squeezed in a visit to 주상절리.  Absolutely beautiful to see almost mystic and non-organic shapes rising from the ocean.
From rains to blue skies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment