Monday, February 17, 2014

Language thoughts



In learning a new language there has to be a degree of just letting go of embarrassment, pride, and fear of awkwardness due to language misuse. Before I came to Korea, I was admittedly nervous, shy, and even scared about my Korean useage. Years of people telling me my Korean was incorrect by family members, Korean church member, and most importantly, telling myself that my Korean was terrible resulted in a unneeded shyness and shame that would hinder me from even practicing. Language is all about practice. It took me coming to Korea, with no English crutch to break my self-induced shame in using the language that I had spoken first in my life.

It's okay to mispronounced a common phrase.
It's normal to not know vocabulary. And to ask what that word is.
It's fine to say that you didn't understand what happened in a TV show.
It's fun to laugh at how ridiculous an explanation for a simple language concept can get between the explainer and the explainee.
It's hard to learn any language. And people will be sympathetic to that fact
Being a student of anything means being able to come to terms that there will be things that I do not know. And doing something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment