Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Progress of Ewha Classes

My class consists of 11 Japanese girls, 1 Japanese guy, 1 Japanese 할머니, 1 American man, and an Romanian woman. I have one teacher M,W,F and the other T,TH.  

I enjoyed the curriculum and structure of the class. The course balanced writing, reading, and conversational Korean based on grammar. How I've learned Korean previously as I look back the last 2 decades of my life did gain me vocabulary, speaking, and listening abilities. But subsequently, as my mind heard or spoke Korean, I only knew if something sounded incorrect or correct. With no knowledge of the grammatical structure of Korean, my current Korean based itself only on years of conversational osmosis. 

This class introduced structure and order to using Korean by teaching me grammar. Everything in class had been phrases or concepts I've always heard, but never thought about why someone would say it that way. The class boosted my Korean in finally building some support in grammar, reading, and writing. My reading speed has improved significantly, though it is not close to the speed I would like it to be at, but improvement nevertheless. Writing Korean was actually harder than I imagined as though 1) though I know a lot of words, the way the word is spoken in Korean and written varies quite a bit 2) I didn't realize that the pronunciations of some characters just either change into something other sound or disappear completely. I learned spelling Korean will be a very tough mountain to climb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment