Saturday, February 22, 2014

Meeting paternal side- Suwon

I crossed 서울 an hour and half to meet 경호. We stopped at a cafe for a couple of hours to talk. In english. Having studied in New York for the last year, his English was remarkably good. I didn't have to slow down my speech nor was his pace anything short of conversational.
In talking with 경호, I figured him learning English is parallel to me learning Korean. He experience the same shyness in New York as I had when I came to Korea. But being in Korea now, he had brought the shamelessness of learning and practicing a language. He was adamant that I could speak English to him. You can tell his seriousness in wanting more practice to improve his Korean. There's not much opportunity for him here so he's making the most of me.
I met with 희정이 아저씨, his mother, and wife at their rather large apartment and spent the night. 희정이 아저씨 actually gave me a great overview of how I should travel Europe, complete with cities, how long I should stay, when I should meet up with him in Milan, and with all this a more concrete vision of month of April.
With the 할머니, I showed her the wedding picture of 아빠 and she went through the paternal side and listed who was who. Her identifying the unknown faces had also included a list of the deceased. One point with her to tell one was gone, then another, and another, and another...
Family's a strange concept.
I met with 경호  and his family in 수원. At dinner, his dad expressed over and over of his relationship with 아빠 when they were growing up. That distance can simply sever a family friendship. And that he wishes that 경호 and Justin and I create and a keep a relationship too.




No comments:

Post a Comment