Thursday, January 23, 2014

Learning the transit

I went out with 이모 and 나은누나 by way of public transit. I have been trying to navigate 이화's (Ewha) website to find out how to enrolling its language school. But having overcome the virtual aspect, now I just had to navigate to the actual school.
Beginning our day. Bus, subway, bus to our destination.
We left in the afternoon so there crowding was not a problem. I'm guessing that when I leave for 이대 in the morning, it'll be really crowded with all the Seoulites getting to work and school.

As 이대 and 연대 are next to each other, 이모  brought me to 연대 first to see where she studied nursing and just for the sake of sightseeing. They told me about how they brought Justin the first time and it's strange how I'm literally and figuratively walking in his shoes (he left winter boots here in Korea that I am wearing).
We stopped at a book store in 이대 and spent an hour or two inside. I was checking out children's book. Realized it's still too difficult for me to comprehend. Language is a funny thing. I need some serious practice reading and writing. I have to read out loud right now to get a sense of what I'm reading, but the pace is too slow. I checked out the Korean language books for foreigners and I'm really surprised that Justin tested into Level three because it was so difficult. I had a hard time with the Level one book, but I'm taking the test too so we'll see how it turns out.

One thing I learned is that to get a job at the major Korean companies, there's tests for them! Samsung, LG, Daem, and so many more. I flipped through them and they covered everything from basic electronics, physics, English, Korean comprehension, etc. I thought about it and it doesn't seem like a bad idea for companies to conduct those tests. It'd be interesting to see how it would impact the workforce if America follow these employment methods.
One section of company exam review books

Exiting 이대 , we stopped by Original Teegim 오리지나 튀김 for some fried Korean style tempura. That's the best way to describe it. 이모  talked of how she used to come here after school with friends. Most of the diners when we went in were definitely 아짐마s and we joked about how everyone was just nostalgic and decided to come. 
Fried vegetable goodness. They also fried squid. My mouth is salivating thinking about this already.
After our snack, the whole family met to eat 감자탕 (potato stew? which I now do not understand the name since the potatoes are not the main focus of the dish) and 삼겹살. They gave us aprons which I thought was hilarious, but I guess it's normal here. I'm starting to doubt that I'll ever have a bad meal in Korea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment