Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bern and the Swiss Alps Switzerland

The capital city of Switzerland, Bern. Medieval buildings fill the downtown. Tall streched out structures line the inexplicably clean Swiss streets.
View of the downtown. 
As it was Friday night, locals filled the main square and cafes with alcohol, laughter, and cigarette smoke. I would only hear German or French as I walked passed tables.  
 
I've admittedly not been eating "well" since I started my trek in to Europe by myself. I have a few reasons. 1. I'm always in a rush to move to the next location. 2. Eating alone at a nice restaurant is not as enjoyable as if someone else was sharing the experienc.3. Food is damn expensive. 
Now here I am in Switzerland, world renown for its cuisine. I opted in to taste Swiss food. 
 
I did my research and found an authentic Swiss restaurant in the College of Bern, away from the tourists. I ordered "Siedfleisch Pot au feu" with no idea what it was. 
Out comes beef stew. A refined beef stew. The best beef stew I ever had. Tender generous cuts of meat, perfectly textured vegetables, and a strong herb broth.  
 
Bern has several dozen public fountains with colorfully painted sculptures ranging from Biblical stories to Swiss noblemen.  
The old town night glow 
I
I hopped aboard a beautiful trainride through the countryside with the Alps continuously growing in the horizon. 
On the final train ascent, I talked with a Korean couple who have coincidently been following the same Europe trip as me. But for them, the Alps were the last stop. 
Their trip got me thinking of mine. I've only been here in Europe for one week and I have seen so much already. To think that I have a couple more weeks of traveling and packed schedule... 
Clouds shrouded the peaks.
The panoramic views of the Alps are an experience that I'll carry with me.

1 comment:

  1. Man. How are you able to get focus on close and far objects simultaneously at dusk while retaining intense color. Photoshop?

    ReplyDelete