Saturday, April 12, 2014

Lyon, France

A departure from the crowded and busy citys of Paris, Wiesbaden, and Seoul brought me to Lyon. The city provided space and a breath of fresh air that I didn't know I was lacking. 
Roaming around the downtown brought me to the Lyon Cathedral. The medieval exterior and interior were relatively austere compared with Gothic counterparts.
Hiking wide switch backs and through manicured gardens, I reached the peak of Lyon and was greeted by a castle-looking cathedral overlooking the city. I expected the church on this hill to be similar to the Lyon cathedral downtown based on it's plain exterior.
However, my expectation was exceedingly wrong. Colorful and ornate. Delicate and intricate. The cathedral was beautiful. Every square inch of the walls and ceiling was dazzling. The intricate mosaic and generous application of gold within the interior hinted at Byzantine and eastern influences. Other than the barrel vaulted ceilings, I couldn't recognize any notable Gothic characteristics.
I sat for the second half of mass in the near empty pews, listening to the deep tenor of the French priest resonating the halls.

Lyon offers an interestinf archeological landscape because no war or major natural disaster have devastated the area. Subsequently, buildings from the Lyon's beginnings still stand. 
The Roman theatre was built in 43 BCE. They still have plays and concerts in amphitheatre. I took a break on the ancient steps that looked over the city below.
Open space. Wide open space. Oh how refreshing a walk under tress without buildings or people in sight. 
Parc de la TĂȘte d'Or provided refuge from the city. I was reminded of the feeling of being surrounded by nature and away from man.
I'm situating my preferences for Urban vs natural life as I travel. This is good personal data for figuring out where I would like to live, study, and work in the future.
Peace in the Park

With the sun setting, I walked through the UNESCO clusters of renaissance buildings. 
Overlook of Lyon's treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment