Monday, April 7, 2014

Thoughts on Germany

The familiarity of the roads, types of cars, shops, food, cityscape, and mannerism of Germany has made clearer to me the notion of Western vs Eastern cultures.
Living in Korea, I never had a sense that I was in the United States. The customs and way of life differs too much. However, I find myself roaming around Germany and thinking that I may have accidently landed in the US.
In my short exposure to Germany, I explored the downtown of Wiesbaden and the renaissance town of Hidelberg. Since my assessment of Germany as a whole is through the lens of my life in America, Germany feels like grander America.
This is if grandness is measured by adorned facades, cobblestone roads, massive churches, castles that aren't owned by Mickey Mouse, late night cafe frequenters, and a general heightened sense of style for all ages.
.Jewish holocaust memorial in downtown Wiesbaden. As an American, I regrettably do not know much of Germany except for their involvement in wars. I was interested in how Germans viewed their war crimes and this memorial answered my questions. The plain walls outlined the temple that were destroyed in WW2. A plaque brutally described the crimes against jews in Wiesbaden and the greater war. Germany does not white-wash, it acknowledges and puts forth meaningful effort to remember.
The historic town of Heidelberg. The beautiful renaissance castle overlooking the downtown had complex British and Germany royal involvement in its construction, redesigns, pillaging, and preserving.
Cordon blue
I guess I don't know what I expected with German food. Two observations I have. One, German don't really have a huge selection of purely German food and Germans seem to eat other ethnic foods (pizza, pasta, kebabs,etc)  just like Americans do.
Schitzel- breaded pork
German spin on chicken fajitas... no difference
The second observation is that the German food is heavy, simple, salty, and filling.
And of course the smooth German beer. I was shocked at how great it tasted


No comments:

Post a Comment