Friday, April 4, 2014

Remainer

Leaving today was more emotional than I had anticipated. My Korea trip was 2 and a half months. Simply a guest when I first arrived, I leave now as a family member.
Everyone recognizes how rare this trip was. And the uncertainty of when we will see each other again is what resonates the most. 엄마's birthday is coming up next week. During my visits and stay with family, her name and her stories puncuated regular conversation. 할머니, 할아버지, and 이모 speak of her to "keep her alive in their souls." 
As I spent time with them, they reminded me much of 엄마 through their appearance, their personalities, and with their telling of memories. I look to them as a piece of 엄마 still around.
As I woke up on the day I am leaving Korea and walked to the living room, I found 이모 looking at a picture of when we were together in Miami 1995. When her teary eyes looked up at me, I realized then that I too am a reminder of my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment