Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Milano

Exploring my seventh European city of Milano, I recognize the similarities between these big cities. There's the regional architecture, art museums housing works of the reknown and the forgotten, famous monuments, and quirks about the personalities of the foreign language speaking people. 
I'm not saying that every city is the same. Not at all. Merely stating this observation to say that I've become more comfortable with travelling within these huge cities. A formula exists for a traveler like me in a metropolis. Museums, momuments, walk around the street. Each place draws parallels to another but each holds a unique experience.

Pinacoteca di Brera exhibits Italian paintings from Medieval to contemporary periods. Not a display but I snuck a look at the restoration room for paintings. Sterile with dozens of bottles of chemicals that would be fit for a chemistry research lab, the room had me think about the concept of restoration, the meaning of "original", and preservation.

Every art museum I have visited has had groups of school kids learning from their teacher or from a tour guide. Initially I assume the art literacy of the general European public to be greater than American public. But while their exposure to great art might be heightened, I am reminded that it's just a class for them by kids with their heads down texting in front of a Renaissance masterpiece or rummaging through their bag to find that bag of chips. The trajectory of art knowledge may be similar to my forgotten high school calculus.

The 민박 I am staying was arranged by the owner of a Korean restaurant in Milan, friends with 희정. The owner's daughter, 하나, graciously brought me around the business and urban landscape of Milan for a personal tour. The experience of going around a city with a local yields much more insight in the culture. I asked questions I had been curious about in Italy: Immigration, college culture, politics, Italian's view of Fascism, and others.
The spectacular Duomo in the center of Milan
하나 brought me to a near empty modern art museum situated perfect next to the Duomo for a unique view to capture the scale of the building. The museum showcased mostly Italian artists of cubism to futurists. 
Cimitero Monumentale di Milano. Massive cemetery packed with beautiful and dynamic statues, monuments, and tombstones. 
Hours could be spent in this field of fantastical sculptures. With graves from late 19th century to the pure white marble of someone buried February this year, the sculptural programs of the cemetary varied tremendously.

Famous food shop serving fried dough stuffed with mozzarella and tomato sauce. My mouth approved.
Thick authentic artisan gelato. Definitely a treat.
희정's Milan friend who treated me to dinners and secured the 민박. Milan has been the culturally satisfying trip as I had people supporting within the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment